Reading transmission rom on combined TCU/ECU

Technical information, definitions, advice, and support for factory ECU remapping, aftermarket systems, and much more.
professor_jonny
State: International
Model: rvr sports gear x3
Engine: 2.0-Litre 4G63 Turbo I4 16V DOHC
Transmission: 4 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Reading transmission rom on combined TCU/ECU

Post by professor_jonny »

I have a 1998 RVR that has an ECU with two 7202f processors very similar to the Magna TF.

I have successfully read the engine rom and then went to read the transmission rom but with no luck.
i have moved the boot pin from pin 26 to pin 27 on the Datalink connector as outlined here:
https://www.evoscan.com/technical-vehicle-manuals/12-mitsubishi-diagnostics

But I'm getting the below error in Ecuflash:.
Would any one have an idea of what might be wrong ?

Code: Select all

[08:15:12.501] sending init sequence 2

[08:15:12.501] got 0x10 response instead of 0x11

[08:15:12.501] sending init sequence 3

[08:15:12.861] entering bootloader

[08:15:12.861] sending kernel size (2029)

[08:15:12.861] error sending kernel size

[08:15:12.861] interface close

WytWun
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Re: Reading transmission rom on combined TCU/ECU

Post by WytWun »

professor_jonny wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 21:39
But I'm getting the below error in Ecuflash:.
Would any one have an idea of what might be wrong ?

Code: Select all

[08:15:12.501] sending init sequence 2

[08:15:12.501] got 0x10 response instead of 0x11

[08:15:12.501] sending init sequence 3

[08:15:12.861] entering bootloader

[08:15:12.861] sending kernel size (2029)

[08:15:12.861] error sending kernel size

[08:15:12.861] interface close
This suggests that there's something unusual about the ROM you're trying to read :(. ECUFlash is talking to the TCU and getting some responses but when it tries to upload it's flashing kernel the TCU response isn't what ECUFlash is expecting so it bails out.

Some googling of the error message in the second line above suggests this device might actually have a ROM image from a "MH7201F" even if the chip is marked MH7202F. One of the links google found suggests that these were early production H8/539 chips but probably had a different flash protocol. If this is in fact the situation, the only software I've seen claim to be able to work with these ECUs/ROMs is MMCFlash (module #1 which also andles the regular MH7202F/MH7203FA). I have no experience with it so have no idea whether it actually works. Evoscan.com appear to sell it - see https://evoscan.com/mmcflash-mitsubishi-mazda-yamaha-ecu-reflashing (sorry, the forum isn't allowing me to make a working link).

professor_jonny

I have been reading on the net from other users that have had the same problem which is not many, I have also seen reports of this error on an Evo6 Evo5 and Mangna TF on the openport, evom forums and some russian forum.

I'm wondering if it is related to some sort of read lock as it was suggested, I have tried to PM these people to see if they had a solution but most posts are from years ago and many are not around.

WytWun
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Post by WytWun »

professor_jonny wrote:
26 Jun 2020, 06:48
I have been reading on the net from other users that have had the same problem which is not many, I have also seen reports of this error on an Evo6 Evo5 and Mangna TF on the openport, evom forums and some russian forum.
Early build Magna TFs (and TEs) have MH7201 ECUs and didn't have the reflashing connector - changing to MH7202 ECUs with a reflashing connector was a running change which appears to have been made to the TF series Magna about the 2nd quarter of 1998.

This also reminds me of an issue with the TFs with the reflashing connector: it is wired to the ECU in such a way that the immobiliser is also wired into the line. My recollection is that the ECU could be logged with Evoscan but not reflashed without a wiring mod - somewhere on this forum there's a post by a member named rush which describes the necessary mod. The ECUs in these cars reflash normally with a bench harness, and I did come across one posting that suggests a bench harness got around the error you report. I'm not sure this is likely to be your issue because the TFs had the ECU reflashing affected where your ECU reflashing is normal, but it might pay (if you haven't done so already) to check out the wiring between your car's reflashing connector and the ECU to see whether there's something other than a straight through connection. Australian market NL (1997-2000) Pajeros have the same wiring issue as the reflashable TFs. I don't know anyone having tried to read the TCU part of reflashable TF ECUs so can't comment on whether the TCU reflash connection also had the same problem.

professor_jonny

WytWun wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 01:11
It might pay (if you haven't done so already) to check out the wiring between your car's reflashing connector and the ECU to see whether there's something other than a straight through connection. Australian market NL (1997-2000) Pajeros have the same wiring issue as the reflashable TFs. I don't know anyone having tried to read the TCU part of reflashable TF ECUs so can't comment on whether the TCU reflash connection also had the same problem.
There is defiantly nothing between the data link connector and the ECU, but I I believe the reading issue is down to the code base used to create the TCU rom.
The INVECS II program made for the FTO in 1994 was put in to later later gen cars and it is said the kernel is based on the h8/539 7201 chips and therefore a different reflash protocol.

I was told by author of MMCflash that it will read the TCU of the 1998-2001 RvR x3 (MD352554).

it is likely it will read the 1998 magna TF (MD360208), The 98-2001 Pajero and Montero sport (MD357516) the 1998 v6 6g72 Delica van (MD356418) and a few others from 1997 to 2001 that have a combined ECU/TCU with separate processors.

The plastic case later generation ECU's from these models may have an updated kernel in the TCU rom and may be readable with ECUFLASH with an Openport 2.0 cable it is a bit hit and miss if you can dump it so i was told.

BCX
State: South Australia
Model: Mitsubishi Galant VR4
Engine: 2.5-Litre 6A13-TT V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Post by BCX »

MH7201 is not a H8, different architecture. suspect it *might* be a m16... but never looked into it as in galant/legnum world people ditch these for plastic cased ECUs with H8. MH7201 is 128k rom, but instruction set/opcodes do not resemble H8 and endian is small rather than big. MMCflash will read these ecus.

ECUs with a H8/539 are labelled as such, ie Hitachi h8/539 on the IC package.
There was also MH7202 and MH7203.

difference between H8/539, MH7202 and MH7203 is flash segment layout.

H8/539 will require mmcflash
7202 will work with ecuflash (memmodel needs to be h8539f to sucessfully write)
7203 will work with ecuflash (memmodel needs to be h8539fa to sucessfully write)
8th Gen Galant VR4
MK Triton [6G74 conversion]

professor_jonny

The MCU's inside the ECU has identical code on the silkscreen each chip (7202), ecuflash will read the ECU rom and not the TCU the does not seem to respond the same to the init sequence.

I was told the code for the TCU was likely writen in c on the 7201 and recompiled on a new target 7202 as it has same memory etc... and that was somehow the issue with reading the chip.

I was under the understanding the openport changes the mode of the chip uploads a modified kernel reboots to it and has read write access from there in a round about way.

IM going to purchase MMCflash and when i do ill flick you the rom dump it may be of intrest to you? I dont know if you can stitch another kernel onto the code and make it flashable with ecuflash.

BCX

Post by BCX »

Ecuflash does not have a 7201 flash kernel.

The code appears to be the same between all architectures. As new processor and toolset was available, the same code was complied with slight tweaks. Just need to look at the similarities between SuperH and H8.

The reflash routine/kernel will be different as the physical processor addresses flash segments differently, plus instruction set/architecture is completely different, nothing to do with the fact the code was 'ported' from an earlier architecture.

Openport 2.0 is j2534 compatible, hence can use any software to communicate. I'd definately be keen to see the rom.
Last edited by BCX on 01 Jul 2020, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
8th Gen Galant VR4

BCX

Post by BCX »

if both chips are silkscreened with 7202, you shouldn't need MMCflash.

Can you please post the xml for the read template you're using?
Photo of the ECU without the cover
photo of your reflash connector

Assuming you're using a OP2 cable:
what firmware version is your openport 2.0 cable?
ecuflash version?
8th Gen Galant VR4

professor_jonny

I was reading using the option Mitsukernel 7202 (evo5/6) option same as i did to read the ECU rom and I would get the error 0x10 instead of 0x11 as in the first post.
The read template is per the latest included with Ecuflash version 1.44.4799 read_evo5.xml.
I have a post here with pictures the top picture is a bit potato but both chips are mh7202f and the silkscreen's are identical to each other

[url]https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/other-mitsubishi-vehicles/757259-1998-rvr-auto-ecu-tuning.html[/url]

I'm using an official Openport 2.0 cable (rev h) I brought from Hamish (Evoscan author) and the firmware version is 1.17.4877
i also have a clone 2.0 device rev e but same issue and same firmware version.

The reflash connector is the same 12 pin but it has the TCU flash wire next to the ECU flash pin, if i don't connect the flash harness to the tcu pin I get no response codes.

i could read the ECU move the pin over changing nothing and get the error attempting to read the TCU ROM