HELP ! Automatic Trans Problems

Getting the most out of your engine without breaking the bank.
YgGaara
State: Victoria
Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Magna TJ Solara
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC
Transmission: 4 Speed Straight-Shift Automatic

HELP ! Automatic Trans Problems

Post by YgGaara »

So, I bought my TJ Solara 2 years ago and it's the first car I actually show proper interest in, mostly because I grew up around imports, saying that I know next to nothing about working on cars and what parts do what, BUT I'm not giving up on it, My transmission keeps slipping into neutral at random times while driving it, it slips into neutral over revs, I have to pull over restart the engine and it will work for a good couple days if I'm lucky, I've gotten 2 quotes so far just for ball park figures, one is a whole different transmission for $1650 or a rebuild for $2500 which seems a bit off to me, but as I said I know next to nothing. Wondering if anyone has encountered this problem and if there's a cheaper or easier way to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for feedback and advice.

WytWun
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD

Re: HELP ! Automatic Trans Problems

Post by WytWun »

YgGaara wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 03:43
My transmission keeps slipping into neutral at random times while driving it, it slips into neutral over revs, I have to pull over restart the engine and it will work for a good couple days if I'm lucky, I've gotten 2 quotes so far just for ball park figures, one is a whole different transmission for $1650 or a rebuild for $2500 which seems a bit off to me, but as I said I know next to nothing.
How many km? When was the tranny last serviced, specifically for a fluid change & what specific ATF was used? If it hasn't had a full fluid flush in a while this would be useful, especially if the current fluid doesn't look very good. The only ATF I could recommend would be Mitsubishi's OEM SPIII (or the Hyundai branded SPIII which is the same product) or Castrol Transmax Multivehicle.

If you have fresh reliable ATF and you're getting this behaviour, your tranny has significant wear and will need either a rebuild or a replacment tranny. If the shop is providing any warranty on the replacement tranny, $1650 wouldn't be unreasonable given recent labour rates etc. Likewise I would expect that for a shop doing a warrantied rebuild (installing a rebuild kit with new clutch packs etc) that $2500 is also not unreasonable. In all tranny work labour rates are a killer for costs :(.

YgGaara
State: Victoria
Model: 2001 Mitsubishi Magna TJ Solara
Transmission: 4 Speed Straight-Shift Automatic

Re: HELP ! Automatic Trans Problems

Post by YgGaara »

Awesome, Thanks for the advice. Because I don't know much I will be checking and replacing the ATF, if the problem does persist I will be replacing the trans. I'll let you know how it goes, Cheers Mate.