Pushing your engine to the edge
Daggels
State: Western Australia
Model: 02 pajero
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Pajeros boost and a maf....

Post by Daggels »

im in the planning stages of turboing my 6g74 nm pajero.
Seeing as I like to do things differently I'm gonna place the turbo were the big muffler is.
Almost everything is sorted exhaust/turbo/pipe runs etc etc etc. I'm stuck on a few small things thou.
How much boost can the standard msg see before it looses it's mind?
How far away from the throttle plate can I place it with it again loosing it's shit?
Is it possible to delete the maf and tune in a map?
Any insights will be amazing!!!

WytWun
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Re: Pajeros boost and a maf....

Post by WytWun »

Daggels wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 15:03
How much boost can the standard msg see before it looses it's mind?
Not much - the entire housing is designed for atmospheric use only and will leak air under boost (I've corresponded with someone who tried this). The Evos & Galant/Legnum have the MAF upstream of the turbo to avoid this problem.
Daggels wrote:
How far away from the throttle plate can I place it with it again loosing it's shit?
Can't advise other than to suggest you have a close look at a stock Evo 7/8 or a Galant/Legnum to get an idea of how best to lay things out with the stock MAF and ECU. From a couple of references, the more pipe between the MAF outlet and the turbo intake the better. If you use an aftermarket ECU you'll have a lot more flexibility.
Daggels wrote:
Is it possible to delete the maf and tune in a map?
Not without a modified ROM that implements speed density airflow measurement. Evos (and maybe Galant/Legnum?) only as far as I'm aware. I seem to remember years ago someone developed a MAF emulator which implemented the speed density airflow measurement and provided substitute MAF signals to the ECU but references are hard to find now.

Daggels
State: Western Australia
Model: 02 pajero
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Re: Pajeros boost and a maf....

Post by Daggels »

I suck at the whole replying to certain bits thong so bear with me....
I'm planning to have the turbo basically under the passenger seat, so the maf would need to be even further back. I'm mainly worried that the amount if pipe between the maf and intake would cause Stumbles and issues.
I'll be retaining the stock ecu, but getting it dyno tuned rather then swapping to an aftermarket one. (Budget and I like it when factory stuff works lol) so I'll be using the original maf.