Verada stalling at idle

General advice not related to a particular category, may include bodywork/body kits.
Trombonista
State: New South Wales
Model: Km Verada GTVi AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Verada stalling at idle

Post by Trombonista » 21 Jan 2020, 16:33

Hi guys,
I have a 2005 Verada GTVi AWD. If I turn the a/c on at idle and turn the steering wheel it often stalls. It’s even worse if the headlights are on although that may be subjective. It also sometimes has a little stutter when driving but not often.

Until today there was no engine check light. But it stalled badly a few times on the way home today and the check engine light on and of a few times. I’ve cleaned the MAF but it wasn’t dirty and my cleaning it hasn’t helped.

The battery is fine by the way with almost 13 volts standing and 14 volts running.

Any thoughts. I don’t want to just throw parts at it as the MAF is $900 alone (quoted by Repco).

WytWun
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Re: Verada stalling at idle

Post by WytWun » 21 Jan 2020, 23:32

Trombonista wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 16:33
I have a 2005 Verada GTVi AWD. If I turn the a/c on at idle and turn the steering wheel it often stalls. It’s even worse if the headlights are on although that may be subjective. It also sometimes has a little stutter when driving but not often.

Until today there was no engine check light. But it stalled badly a few times on the way home today and the check engine light on and of a few times. I’ve cleaned the MAF but it wasn’t dirty and my cleaning it hasn’t helped.

The battery is fine by the way with almost 13 volts standing and 14 volts running.

Any thoughts. I don’t want to just throw parts at it as the MAF is $900 alone (quoted by Repco).
This stalling at idle is one symptom of a failing MAF, particularly when the A/C is switched on. You can check the codes via the "flashing lights" method described here. The code numbers may be different for the Magna - let me know what code you read and I can check it in the w/s manual I have (I think the Ellery w/s manual also has the codes listed).

You should be able to do a lot better than REPCO's $900, even new - good second hand units should be available from wreckers for $50-100, and some online. Make sure the unit you get has the same markings on the label as your current unit (which will include "338" in larger characters and "E5T06071" in smaller characters. The same MAF was used for all J/L/W series Magnas & Veradas, 3.5l H series Magnas & Veradas and later model 2.4l & 3l MK Tritons amongst others.