Brake options for TR Magna wagon (the TR Magna Trailer)

Making sure that your car stays on the road.
VRX-WAGON
State: New South Wales
Model: 2000 KJ Verada V6Xi
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Brake options for TR Magna wagon (the TR Magna Trailer)

Post by VRX-WAGON » 28 Feb 2017, 14:19

OK Guys and gals as the title states, I'm after brake options for the rear of a 1994 TR Magna "SE" wagon that has been turnt into a trailer. It's in the process of having all a new front skin, All the Sound deadening removed (the stick on stuff), All braketry that's not required like for the exhaust, Fuel tank etc removed to hopefully shed at least 50kg off the tow weight.

For those who are not familiar with it this is it.
trailer.jpg
trailer.jpg (158.75 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Any way I was towing it the other day in the damp, As the Rain had been on and off all day and a Merc pulled out in front of me and the brakes on the Verada were not happy. Especially since they had to stop a 1510kg Tare car and a 480kg Tare empty trailer on slightly damp roads from 80kph, So the front brakes were screaming bloody murder having to pull up nearly 2 tonne of Mitsubishi.

So what I want to do is install factory rear brakes and have a factory setup for the axle then connects to the body like it would from factory with the flex lines, Then run a custom hard line from the rear to a Hydraulic overider coupler up front. that way any car can tow it without having to worry about electric brakes and they act as they should like any standard caravan or car trailer brakes would, Plus if I some how incorporate using the handbrake function of the rear calipers I'll be laughing.

The question is the Backing plate, Bracket and what looks like a ABS sensor is still in place, As seen in the pic the size of the calipers shouldnt be a real issue as the trailer is running TJ Magna VRX series 2 alloys to match the car.
Trailer brakes.jpg
Trailer brakes.jpg (109.89 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
I'm finding it difficult to find and TR TS Magna wagons that are being wrecked, So to open the field a bit will any of the TE - TW wagon rear rotors and calipers bolt straight onto a 1994 TR Magna SE Wagon. As they should have an extremely similar system one would think they do since they are running the 5 link McPherson suspension system.

Or is it best to just hunt down a TR TS wagon buy the complete thing for peanuts and salvage the parts off it my self, Then ditch the evidence before the landlord has a fit.

So options what brakes will be a direct bolt on to a TR TS Magna wagon on the rear, As after the other day I rather have brakes on it then not just as that extra added layer of protection. Especially under heavy braking loaded or not so I'm not relying on the towing Vehicles brakes and especially going down long steep gradients like say Mt Victoria or Bell's Line of road on the back end of the Blue Mountains, It'd be nice not to be pushed down the hill and let the traile ride it's own brakes.

Options options whats out there as I can get brand new calipers online for $185 each but by the time you get 2, The hoses, pads, run the hard line and new over rider coupler it'll be an easy $600 minimum job even with me doing most of it apart from the hard line and welding the new plate for the new coupler on.

So whats out there that can go straight on so that way the hardest part will be doing the hard line rear to front having it custom made to fit snug so it doesnt rub through and does the job.
"You cannot communicate complicated information to large groups of people. As you increase the number of people, you have to decrease the complexity of the information". Andy Stanley

[TUFFTR]
Valued Contributor
State: Victoria
Model: TUFFTR & Minge Mobile
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC

Re: Brake options for TR Magna wagon (the TR Magna Trailer)

Post by [TUFFTR] » 02 Apr 2017, 23:41

You have next to no options.
I'd stick with factory rear brakes.
Can certainly get some for you from wreckers down this way. If you're happy to pay the wreckers price for them and cover the postage I'm more than happy to grab you a set when I find them. PM me if you're keen.
3rd gen rear brakes *pretty sure* wont work. I'm certain I've tried this at some stage.

VRX-WAGON
State: New South Wales
Model: 2000 KJ Verada V6Xi
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Re: Brake options for TR Magna wagon (the TR Magna Trailer)

Post by VRX-WAGON » 12 Apr 2017, 11:29

[TUFFTR] wrote:You have next to no options.
I'd stick with factory rear brakes.
Can certainly get some for you from wreckers down this way. If you're happy to pay the wreckers price for them and cover the postage I'm more than happy to grab you a set when I find them. PM me if you're keen.
3rd gen rear brakes *pretty sure* wont work. I'm certain I've tried this at some stage.
Sweet Thank's mate I'll shoot you a PM Now, Sorry I didn't respond sooner as I got back from the US on the 4th April and not only ended up with jet lag but one of those horrid plane bugs.
"You cannot communicate complicated information to large groups of people. As you increase the number of people, you have to decrease the complexity of the information". Andy Stanley