Express Van. Junction Box Help Needed

Caring for your car, both mechanically and aesthetically.
WeeMagna
State: New South Wales
Model: 1995 Pajero
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 4 Speed Straight-Shift Automatic

Express Van. Junction Box Help Needed

Post by WeeMagna » 15 Jan 2017, 11:26

Hi everyone. I hope someone might be able to help me.

A friend has a 1994 Express 2 litre. He asked me to have a look at it because the battery keeps going flat. I have found a junction box with "lock, light, def, ign" printed on it. It has a mounting bracket. I think it should be mounted to the body but he has it mounted to the Pos battery terminal. He says that is how it was when he got the van.

Does anyone know where this box should be mounted?

Thanks for your help.

Dougal
Administrator
Model: Magna TS 1995
Engine: 3.0-Litre 6G72 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Re: Express Van. Junction Box Help Needed

Post by Dougal » 15 Jan 2017, 19:16

Not able to confirm mounting of the junction box.

In my own experience with parasitic battery drain I found the best way was to test each circuit for voltage drop at the battery terminal by chucking a multi meter on the battery and pulling fuses out one by one until the voltage out of the battery stops being drawn.

That way you can narrow down which circuit is the culprit and then inspect the items that are on that circuit to find what is causing the drain.

I start with the easiest ones first being the fuses off the interior junction door switches and interior cabin lights as they are a common culprit for battery drain.

this youtube clip helped me a bunch with testing to find the bad circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdIKNnwEjIs

Hope it helps!
ModifiedMitsubishi /// Administrator

Proud owner of
2nd gen Magna TS 1995 - 3lt Twin Turbo 6G72 DOHC 5spd manual)
3rd gen Magna TJ VRX 2002 Wasp Yellow 6g74 SOHC
6th gen Galant GSR 1990 - 4g63 DOHC manual

WeeMagna
Model: 1995 Pajero
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 4 Speed Straight-Shift Automatic

Re: Express Van. Junction Box Help Needed

Post by WeeMagna » 15 Jan 2017, 21:06

Thanks Dougal,

That video is helpful. It didn't help in this case. But it does give some very good tips and I learnt a thing or two :)

The express owner gave me permission to proceed with the risk of damage...I have found that junction box does in fact go on the Pos. It connects power to 4 leads. The earth reading I was getting was from the IGN lead. I read zero Amps on all four leads. I have done every test I can think of and I get a very odd result on one test. When I disconnect the junction box from the battery and disconnect ALL four bridging wires, I read 5 volts !! That is 5 volts from a piece of metal not connected to anything. All other tests are zero or no result. No amps (even at milli amp level) no continuity,

It seems that the plastic junction box is some how allowing a current flow. So I degreased it, washed it and then blew it out with compressed air. Same result. 5 volts when it is not connected to anything. My multi meter says it is not connected. So tomorrow I am going to make a makeshift wire harness to by-pass the junction box and wait events.