PATCH (Auto Trans): Enable tiptronic gear LEDs in auto mode

Technical information, definitions, advice, and support for factory ECU remapping, aftermarket systems, and much more.
WytWun
Valued Contributor
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

PATCH (Auto Trans): Enable tiptronic gear LEDs in auto mode

Post by WytWun » 11 Sep 2016, 21:31

In another forum a member asked whether the tiptronic gear LEDs could be enabled in normal automatic mode, as they were tuning the shift maps and felt this would be helpful. As I had found some of the LED handling in the SH2 TCU code, I dug a bit deeper and found the routine that drives the tiptronic LED display for the forward gears. By neutralising a flag check, the routine can be made to display the gear LEDs as though the triptronic shift is always used. It doesn't matter whether its a 4 speed or 5 speed tiptronic setup.

I've tested the resulting patch in my car and the only less than satisfactory aspect of the resulting behaviour is that in auto mode the "D" LED is displayed at half intensity, and flashes in anti-phase with the indicator lights in the cluster (i.e. "D" is lit when indicator light is off, "D" is off when indicator light is on). This behaviour suggests some parasitic power availability to the "D" LED, as looking at the code I don't believe the "D" LED should be lit at all when in a forward gear :?. Whether this is likely to cause any long term issues in the cluster electronics I can't say, but the half brightness "D" LED bugs me enough that I will undo the patch in my car fairly soon (the "D" LED flashing when indicators are active doesn't bug me that much). Fixing this properly would require more extensive changes in this routine which I don't have time to write and test at the moment.

To my surprise, excepting only the ROM address the same patch details are applicable to all the J/L/W Magna/Verada & MY01-04 Diamante ROMs I can check.

WARNING: the patch changes machine instructions, so entering anything other than the stock or patched values should be assumed likely to cause chaos!

To apply this patch, the appropriate ROM definition XML needs the following code pasted in with a text editor:

ROM IDs 82450006, 87190003, 87200002, 87200004 & 87200005 (a or b) (J series AWD & FWD):

Code: Select all

<table name="Enable Gear LEDs in Auto Mode" category="PATCHES: Auto Trans" address="5A270" type="2D" level="2" scaling="Hex16">
		<table name="Patched [Stock]" type="Static Y Axis" elements="1">
			<data>0x0009 [0x8903]</data>
		</table>
	</table>
ROM IDs 82000002 and 82030002 (L/W FWD):

<table name="Enable Gear LEDs in Auto Mode" category="PATCHES: Auto Trans" address="5A7EA" type="2D" level="2" scaling="Hex16">
		</table>
	</table>
ROM ID 85490001 (L/W AWD):

<table name="Enable Gear LEDs in Auto Mode" category="PATCHES: Auto Trans" address="5A2DA" type="2D" level="2" scaling="Hex16">
		</table>
	</table>
When opened in ECUFlash with the modified definition file, stock ROMs will have the value "8903" (entered as "0x8903" in ECUFlash):
patch_map_stock.png
Stock ROM patch map
patch_map_stock.png (8.51 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
Patched ROMs will have the value "0009" (entered as "0x0009"):
patch_map_patched.png
Patched ROM patch map
patch_map_patched.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
If you see any other values, there is a problem and no modifications to the ROM should be flashed. If you try the patch and decide not to continue with it, simply enter the stock value and flash the ROM. Alternatively flash a backup copy of the unpatched ROM.

Each of the Diamante ROMs has a different address, so I won't post them here - please contact me by PM for patches for these ROMs. Patches for the several "R&D" ROMs floating about may also be available on request. Sadly I can't help with any H8 ROM patches.

EDIT: I should add that the gear indication changes in advance of the shift, sometimes by as much as 1-2 seconds. This is sometimes noticeable in tippy mode as well.

Loki025
State: Queensland
Model: 2003 Mitsubishi Magna AWD TJ
Transmission: 5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Re: PATCH (Auto Trans): Enable tiptronic gear LEDs in auto m

Post by Loki025 » 19 Sep 2016, 14:18

Hey.

The way you have worded the post leads me to believe that it is not safe or can cause some damage. Mabey even the fact your not sure if it will on not.

However I don't think you would of posted it if it was not safe.

You have seen the effects of this patch and the coding, is it safe for general use or only recommended for ROM development tuning?

Loki

WytWun
Valued Contributor
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD

Re: PATCH (Auto Trans): Enable tiptronic gear LEDs in auto m

Post by WytWun » 19 Sep 2016, 22:18

Loki025 wrote:The way you have worded the post leads me to believe that it is not safe or can cause some damage. Mabey even the fact your not sure if it will on not.

However I don't think you would of posted it if it was not safe.

You have seen the effects of this patch and the coding, is it safe for general use or only recommended for ROM development tuning?
Sorry I had to stick warnings on it, but that's the environment we live in :roll: :cry:
If the patch is not applied, or restored correctly, expect problems. Done correctly... it works as described.

I've now run the patch in my own car for over a week without any problems other than the dim/flashing "D" LED in auto mode (tippy mode is normal). I will be backing the patch out in my own car for normal use because the "D" LED issues bug me, but I'll keep it handy if I decide to have another play with the shift maps... Had a note from someone else who has tried it - it appears the older TJ S1 (non-LCD odometer) clusters don't exhibit the dim/flashing "D" LED issue.

To get the behaviour absolutely correct requires non-trivial code changes :( . For a two byte patch, even the imperfect results are still pretty good bang for the buck...