Hydrualic Tensioner

Caring for your car, both mechanically and aesthetically.
WeeMagna
State: New South Wales
Model: 1995 Pajero
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 4 Speed Straight-Shift Automatic

Hydrualic Tensioner

Post by WeeMagna »

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has used the Nason brand hydraulic tensioner from Supercheap - http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/spare- ... inder.aspx and are they good or should I go for another brand?

I am getting a mechanic to do the job. He says that because it's done 200k and this is the second belt change (first done at 95k) it is a good idea to change the tensioner.

Gates at $250 is out of the question. The Nason is $125 and even that seems a lot to me. I will be shopping around and will be getting a price for genuine Mits.

Also, Supercheap have something listed in the tensioner section for $27 but give no details as to what it is. Just a part number and brand Nason. Does anyone know what this $27 thing is and if it is a tensioner, what is the difference between it and the $125 one?

Thanks for the feedback.

[TUFFTR]
Valued Contributor
State: Victoria
Model: TUFFTR & Minge Mobile
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Re: Hydrualic Tensioner

Post by [TUFFTR] »

Do not buy anything other than OEM. The rest are shit and I wouldn't bother one bit. I think mine was about $195 from Mits. Considering it's at the heart of the timing belt change it's not something you want to skimp on.

I've had cheap aftermarket ones fail literally minutes after installation - let alone trying to weasle over 10 years out of it.

TJTime
Model: TJ2 Sports
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Post by TJTime »

Look up the mitsu part number and go on Amayama, its like $68USD?
MUCHOS PUNANI!

WeeMagna

Post by WeeMagna »

Thanks for the replies.

That Amayama site looks like it only does Jap import.

Is there an online place where I can look up part numbers? I tried the Amayama search but it is asking for frame number. I tried the VIN and model numbers with no luck. I have no idea what they mean by frame number.

WeeMagna

Post by WeeMagna »

I just found this thread - http://www.modifiedmitsubishi.com.au/vi ... f=42&t=952

The tensioner shown there is the same one as the $124 job from Supercheap. At least they both have the brand markings NTN. Does that mean that Nason NTN is the OEM ?

Still got no idea what they mean by frame number. A lengthy google search does not help. I did find a couple of US sites that give models and frame numbers. This allusive frame number will be something like D42 or D27 etc. The only number on the car that looks like that is on the plate and labelled "Options E32 D04". Neither of those numbers work. There is nothing else on the car, in the log book nor on the rego papers. Some one here must know what they mean by frame number because it looks like you cannot purchase parts from OS without the frame number.

Cheers

WeeMagna

Post by WeeMagna »

A quick update...

It turns out that NTN is in fact the OEM brand. I will confirm this with Mitsubishi tomorrow. According to the Supercheap in-house web site (different to their public site) the NTN tensioner is listed as the genuine OEM part.

I found two companies, NTN-SNR and NTN Corporation. They both make tensioners. I am not sure which one supplies Mitsubishi (they might even be the same company). They both seem to supply OEM parts. NTN-SNR however, state they also supply aftermarket retailers. It appears that when they supply a retailer, they refer to the part as OEM quality, but it is in fact the same part. I guess that makes sense since suppling to the car maker would make the part genuine OEM, whilst the retailer is aftermarket regardless of whether the part is OEM, it is still aftermarket.

So $124 for affectively the genuine OEM as sold by Mitsubishi, just in a different box...or pay $120 - $140 more to get the same part in a box with Mitsubishi printed on it...

No brainer !

[TUFFTR]
Valued Contributor

Post by [TUFFTR] »

OEM Part number 1145A070
Amayama's Price - $87.93 from the UAE, or $107.14 from Australia.
And yep, NTN is the Manufacturer.
it would be worth putting a quote in through Amayama, It's probably not much more than $10 postage, so It'll be cheaper again than SCA

WeeMagna

Post by WeeMagna »

Thanks again for all the replies.

I guess my original question is well and truly answered...Mitsubishi have confirmed NTN is the OEM brand. $225.

I had another look at Amayama. I found that they do have a Sydney warehouse. But they just don't look very professional to me. The only web pages I can find for them is a very small eBay store and a Facebook page. So I have decided to get it from SCA.

I think the mystery frame number might be solved. Mits printed a diagram of the part and on the page it says model F36A. When I enter that number in any of those sites asking for a frame number it works. The rego papers say the model is MAGN96B but according to Mits the car model number is F36A.

Cheers

[TUFFTR]
Valued Contributor

Post by [TUFFTR] »

I have ordered for the last 3-4 years off amayama and they are a very good business to deal with. The website isn't flashy but you get what you need at the best price. Juat an FYI for the future, I often save close to 50% on OEM parts compared to Mitsubishi.

WeeMagna

Post by WeeMagna »

Ordered yesterday at SCA and arrived today...

I can confirm it is NTN Corporation. NTN Bearings...So NTN-SNR is now out of the picture.

The box has NTN Bearings printed on every side and NTN Corporation printed on the top. It has a Nason bar code label stuck over the original label. The original label is a holographic tamper proof type label. I tried to remove the Nason label, but the underlying holographic really is tamper proof.

The tensioner is identical to the OEM as pictured elsewhere on the Forum (because it is OEM). It has the letters NTN and the numerals 070. The official Mitsubishi part number is 1145A070

I have sent an email off to Nason asking if they sell direct to the public. Not that that will be of benefit to me since I have already got the part from SCA, but others might benefit in the future. I will let you know what they say.

Cheers

Archie
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJII AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Post by Archie »

Does this part suit the 3.5?

WeeMagna

Post by WeeMagna »

The label on the box says, 6G72, 6G74 and 6G75

The Mitsubishi part number is as above. The part number on the box (which I assume is Nason or Supercheap) is NBTH1080-OE

But you can double check your exact model with Supercheap. It is best to go into one of their stores because the part number on the web site is different.