Steering Rack Boots

Caring for your car, both mechanically and aesthetically.
WeeMagna
State: New South Wales
Model: 1995 Pajero
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 4 Speed Straight-Shift Automatic

Steering Rack Boots

Post by WeeMagna »

Wow...No one has posted here since my last post way back in Oct !

I am about to change my tie rod ends and steering rack boots. I will be doing the job next week.

Question - Do I put grease in the boots ?

When I got the boots at Repco, I asked for grease and was told by the store manager that you do not use grease. I have now had a second mechanic tell me that grease is not used. But, the reason for changing the boots is that one has split and is leaking grease. The Gregory's says to fill the corrugations of the boot with moly grease.

So I have two mechanics saying don't use grease. Whilst the Gregory's says do use grease and the existing boots have grease.

Do I grease or not grease??

Thanks in advance and happy new year to all :)

Dougal
Administrator
Model: Magna TS 1995
Engine: 3.0-Litre 6G72 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Re: Steering Rack Boots

Post by Dougal »

My understanding is that the ball joint inside the tie rod is greased but the boot is a dust boot meaning its there to prevent dirt sand and other road debris damaging and prematurely wearing the ball joint.

The grease you have seen could be grease that was part of the grease already on the ball joint.
ModifiedMitsubishi /// Administrator

Proud owner of
2nd gen Magna TS 1995 - 3lt Twin Turbo 6G72 DOHC 5spd manual)
3rd gen Magna TJ VRX 2002 Wasp Yellow 6g74 SOHC

WeeMagna

Post by WeeMagna »

Thanks Dougal,

I will be doing the job in a few days, so will find out then.

So that is now 4 people, including you, that say no grease. Verses the workshop manual which says use grease.

The book is a bit odd because it says to fill the corrugations with grease. In my mind filling the corrugations will do nothing anyway. I am tending to want to follow the book but I also trust the opinions of no grease. Do you think using grease would cause any issues?

Dougal
Administrator
Model: Magna TS 1995
Engine: 3.0-Litre 6G72 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Post by Dougal »

Grease in the corrugations would serve to keep the boot lubricated which in turn lengthens its life as over years and years they tend to get dry and crack up.

Grease a little wont hurt one bit.
If it were CV joints then they need grease pack inside the boot.
ModifiedMitsubishi /// Administrator

Proud owner of
2nd gen Magna TS 1995 - 3lt Twin Turbo 6G72 DOHC 5spd manual)
3rd gen Magna TJ VRX 2002 Wasp Yellow 6g74 SOHC

WeeMagna

Post by WeeMagna »

Job is done.

The "leaking grease" I could see came from somewhere else. Neither of the boots had grease in them and both are in good condition. So what looked like leaking grease must have been road kill.

Since using grease wont do any harm and might even extend the life of the boots, I followed the book and filled the corrugations.

Even though the old boots turned out to still be good, the job was worth it. The passenger side tie rod end was the suspect one...and when I got it off, it looked very suspect. So I now have new tie rod ends and new rack boots on both sides. All up cost including grease, $76.50 and it took about 3 hours and required 6 beers.

Mitsubishi quoted $92 EACH for the rod ends. So I didn't ask for a price on the boots ;)

th_boi
State: South Australia
Model: Mitsubishi magna 2003 tl awd
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Post by th_boi »

The few times I have done tie rod ends and steering boots I have NOT used grease on or in the boots... Tie rod ends should already have grease in them.
But I might be doing it wrong lol

hope I helped and happy New year to you to mate
Cant sleep clown will eat me

th_boi

Post by th_boi »

You have a inner rack end and a outer rack end... Outer rack end is also called a tie rod end.
Tie rod ends are about $15 each from sprints/repco.
And unless you have crashed or hit something hard and bent it your inner tie rod should almost never need to be replaced.

WeeMagna

Post by WeeMagna »

Thanks th-boi,

All the best for the new year to you too mate.

This is my first time ever at doing tie rod ends and rack boots. So when the Gregory's says use grease, of course I go to buy grease. Only to be told you don't use grease...and here we are.

Repco was $30 each ($29.45). Long story, but they got returned (no fault by Repco but issues with the manufacturer TRW). Ended up getting them from Moto Spares in Nowra for $20 each (brand name RoadSafe and no issues). So, $40 for the rod ends, $12 each for the rack boots and $12.50 for a tube of grease = $76.50.

Interesting...Before I started this thread, I did some Google research. I didn't find the answer, hence this thread ;) What I did find though, was a thread on another forum. The poster there was asking about a quote he had for replacing tie rod ends and rack boots on a TF Magna...The quote $1,100...and that was 2010, 5 years ago !!!

If you know the difference between a spanner and a hammer, you can do the job yourself...

th_boi

Post by th_boi »

I agree, get your self a work shop manual and anything is possible lol

I did my rocker cover gaskets, spark plugs and leads cost me about $130, my missus got quoted $800!!!!! It's a 45min job if you know how to do it

Edit; and if the book tells you to do something that sounds stupid... Tell it its stupid and ask someone on here lol Magna people are nice people :D