380 piggyback ecu options?

Technical information, definitions, advice, and support for factory ECU remapping, aftermarket systems, and much more.
Aaron95j
State: New South Wales
Model: Mitsubishi 380 SX
Engine: 3.8-Litre 6G75 V6 24V SOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

380 piggyback ecu options?

Post by Aaron95j » 14 Oct 2014, 22:43

Hello, I am considering a ecu as the next upgrade for my manual 380 but after looking around I can't seem to see what my best option is.

Basically I'd just like to know simply what is the best option for a piggyback ecu.

I want one I can install myself, 'plug and play'.
And one that I can take to a local workshop with a dyno to tune it for the car and future mods.

Does this exist for the 380? If so any recommendations? Thankyou

z80
State: Victoria
Model: 380GT/VRX/TMR380/Platinum

Re: 380 piggyback ecu options?

Post by z80 » 15 Oct 2014, 07:30

The Link G4 Storm or Extreme ecu's have been used by me personally.

The tune/config files are available for free from me.

I also have the wiring details.

All for free....
Twin turbo Mitsubishi 380GT -16 PSI boost with 3.9 litres and LSD conservatively at ... 270Kw @ 710Nm at the wheels!
Supercharged TMR380 ....complete with custom Quaife limited slip differential.........191kw @400NM at the wheels
No virtual dyno here.

Aaron95j

Post by Aaron95j » 15 Oct 2014, 14:32

Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend one over the other?

Really keen to get something serious done to the car :) where did you purchase yours? I can't find anywhere to buy one..

So these are tunable by me as long as I have a laptop yes?

z80

Post by z80 » 02 Nov 2014, 09:29

Aaron95j wrote:Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend one over the other?

Really keen to get something serious done to the car :) where did you purchase yours? I can't find anywhere to buy one..

So these are tunable by me as long as I have a laptop yes?
You can buy the Link ECU on EBay but be warned ...it will take a bit of knowledge to get it all working.
Twin turbo Mitsubishi 380GT -16 PSI boost with 3.9 litres and LSD conservatively at ... 270Kw @ 710Nm at the wheels!
Supercharged TMR380 ....complete with custom Quaife limited slip differential.........191kw @400NM at the wheels
No virtual dyno here.

Aaron95j

Post by Aaron95j » 02 Nov 2014, 13:26

You mean the $2000 ones?
Hopefully I'll come across a second hand one soon haha
Thanks

z80

Post by z80 » 05 Nov 2014, 23:00

Aaron95j wrote:You mean the $2000 ones?
Hopefully I'll come across a second hand one soon haha
Thanks

you can get a new unit for around 1400 bucks. :D
No virtual dyno here.

Aaron95j

Post by Aaron95j » 06 Nov 2014, 12:21

Ahh, gumtree $1400 :)
Wonder if that's the one you're talking about?
Do I need the "knockblock"?

Sorry about all the questions.. Fairly new but I'm trying!! :) thanks for your help

Btw.. You have the AWD 380 don't you..

ads_german
State: Western Australia
Model: 2005 380 VRX

Post by ads_german » 10 Nov 2014, 16:57

Unfortunately there are no plug and play options for the 380, whether you go for a piggyback ECU or full ECU like the Link ones - any option will require wiring in I believe.

That's my Link G4 Storm ECU you spotted for sale - it's from one of z80's old 380's which I bought (supercharged). Because I'm transferring it interstate I had to get it emissions tested which it marginally failed. I've already swapped in a new cat as an attempted workaround which caused some issues, so rather than spending roughly double that again on Euro 5 cats (going for overkill to ensure it gets though emissions testing which is ~$200 a pop in WA), I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the top-spec G4+ Extreme to get sequential injection and drive-by-wire throttle as well.

I'm not sure of the rules in NSW if you were to install a new ECU, but assuming you also have to get emissions tested (free in NSW I think?), I suspect you'd sail through naturally aspirated if you retain the standard exhaust manifolds with integrated cats. As z80 mentioned, he has wiring info and tune files which you could use as a starting point to save you a bit on the install costs.

The KnockBlock is required with the G4 Storm if you want to retain knock detection - newer G4+ models have it inbuilt though (as an extra cost upgrade). From my understanding, retaining knock detection is pretty crucial on the 6G75 unless you're happy to stick to a fairly conservative tune.

z80

Post by z80 » 10 Nov 2014, 21:58

ads_german wrote:Unfortunately there are no plug and play options for the 380, whether you go for a piggyback ECU or full ECU like the Link ones - any option will require wiring in I believe.

That's my Link G4 Storm ECU you spotted for sale - it's from one of z80's old 380's which I bought (supercharged). Because I'm transferring it interstate I had to get it emissions tested which it marginally failed. I've already swapped in a new cat as an attempted workaround which caused some issues, so rather than spending roughly double that again on Euro 5 cats (going for overkill to ensure it gets though emissions testing which is ~$200 a pop in WA), I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the top-spec G4+ Extreme to get sequential injection and drive-by-wire throttle as well.

I'm not sure of the rules in NSW if you were to install a new ECU, but assuming you also have to get emissions tested (free in NSW I think?), I suspect you'd sail through naturally aspirated if you retain the standard exhaust manifolds with integrated cats. As z80 mentioned, he has wiring info and tune files which you could use as a starting point to save you a bit on the install costs.

The KnockBlock is required with the G4 Storm if you want to retain knock detection - newer G4+ models have it inbuilt though (as an extra cost upgrade). From my understanding, retaining knock detection is pretty crucial on the 6G75 unless you're happy to stick to a fairly conservative tune.

Hey mate, when your tuner is tearing his hair out trying to stop the stock ECU from going into limp mode due to coil pack CEL's tell him to tie two in4148 diodes in series downn to earth on each sense line.
The coil packs use a darlington driver that is effectively two Vbe junctions,
Most tune shops think resistors will fix it but it doesnt.

BTW you could have got your emmissions in spec by simply putting the stock exhaust manifolds, cats and exhaust system.
Probably about 300 bucks at the wreckers....just thinking...
No virtual dyno here.

ads_german

Post by ads_german » 10 Nov 2014, 23:34

z80 wrote:Hey mate, when your tuner is tearing his hair out trying to stop the stock ECU from going into limp mode due to coil pack CEL's tell him to tie two in4148 diodes in series downn to earth on each sense line.
The coil packs use a darlington driver that is effectively two Vbe junctions,
Most tune shops think resistors will fix it but it doesnt.
Thanks John, much appreciated! I vaguely remember you mentioning something about a pair of diodes inline to fool something with the stock ECU, and the wiring diagram you've previously posted for the Storm only had a single diode or resistor per leftover stock ECU ignition and injection wire respectively plus a combination of resistor and diode for O2 sensor wires, so I would have no doubt been back in touch with you pleading for info on your wiring for the Extreme...

I know you also ended up installing an extra cam sensor for your turbo build as well (on the front bank cam, just behind the belt sprocket) - was that required for the Extreme ECU or was it specifically related to the turbos?
z80 wrote:BTW you could have got your emmissions in spec by simply putting the stock exhaust manifolds, cats and exhaust system.
Probably about 300 bucks at the wreckers....just thinking...
Yeah, that was a scenario I weighed up, and I'd be happy to have a crack at swapping those over myself. I wouldn't say I'm particularly mechanically adept, but I'm confident enough that with enough time I could follow instructions and handle that. But between buying a few extra tools, ramps/stands, the manifolds, having to remove the supercharger to get at the rear bank and doing the job out in the open thanks to a single car garage with not enough room to swing a cat, I figured delays and frustration would cost me more than it was worth... :oops: Either that or call on a mechanic I trust which would chew up a chunk of the outlay for the Extreme anyway.

And sorry for hijacking your thread a bit Aaron...

Aaron95j

Post by Aaron95j » 11 Nov 2014, 17:36

ads_german wrote:And sorry for hijacking your thread a bit Aaron...
Go on haha, very interesting. As for keeping on topic I think this would be very intuitive for anyone else in my situation.. hoping to supercharge when I have my full licence :D

ads_german

Post by ads_german » 11 Nov 2014, 19:17

ads_german wrote:I know you also ended up installing an extra cam sensor for your turbo build as well (on the front bank cam, just behind the belt sprocket) - was that required for the Extreme ECU or was it specifically related to the turbos?
I found the post I was thinking of: http://www.modifiedmitsubishi.com.au/vi ... =90#p10725 - extra cam sensor was required for "better angle control for the sequential injection to have enough adjustment", so I guess I'll be doing the same...

Also, on your forum, I found this post: http://www.380db.com/forum/forums/threa ... 3&start=17 about the coil pack simulation already wired in the VRX with the Storm ECU. There you mention a pair of 1N4001 diodes in series - did you have to use different diodes (1N4148) for the Extreme setup in your GT, or is one of those just a typo? I would assume it's the same regardless of the Storm or Extreme being used, as they're used to fool the factory ECU? I was also hoping that existing coil pack wiring in my VRX won't have to be touched when switching from Storm to Extreme...

z80

Post by z80 » 11 Nov 2014, 23:08

ads_german wrote:
ads_german wrote:I know you also ended up installing an extra cam sensor for your turbo build as well (on the front bank cam, just behind the belt sprocket) - was that required for the Extreme ECU or was it specifically related to the turbos?
I found the post I was thinking of: http://www.modifiedmitsubishi.com.au/vi ... =90#p10725 - extra cam sensor was required for "better angle control for the sequential injection to have enough adjustment", so I guess I'll be doing the same...

Also, on your forum, I found this post: http://www.380db.com/forum/forums/threa ... 3&start=17 about the coil pack simulation already wired in the VRX with the Storm ECU. There you mention a pair of 1N4001 diodes in series - did you have to use different diodes (1N4148) for the Extreme setup in your GT, or is one of those just a typo? I would assume it's the same regardless of the Storm or Extreme being used, as they're used to fool the factory ECU? I was also hoping that existing coil pack wiring in my VRX won't have to be touched when switching from Storm to Extreme...

In4001 diodes are better as they are higher current, yes fools the factory ECU which goes into limp mode if it thinks the coil packs are disconnected.
The extra cam sensor goes on the cam belt pulley closest to the radiator.

If you want any specific info have a talk to Jake at JJM Turbo world in Hallam Victoria.
He can be hard to pin down sometimes.

But like I said, try the factory exhaust/cats first.

Nothing wrong with the Storm/knock block setup BTW.
No virtual dyno here.

slowtl
State: Queensland
Model: 380
Transmission: 5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Post by slowtl » 07 Jun 2019, 20:03

Reviving this thread is it possible to flash modify the 380 ecu yet?