Re: Magna factory ECU tuning with ECUFlash/Evoscan

Technical information, definitions, advice, and support for factory ECU remapping, aftermarket systems, and much more.
stumagoo
State: Western Australia
Model: Mitsubishi pajero
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Post by stumagoo » 04 Jan 2018, 12:08

I have a similar issue with H8's in the NL pajeros some run H8539FA and others H8539F and externally no difference - same numbers on the ECU and same ID's.... is there a way around this or am I like your other comment where I have to edit the definition for each type.... just gives me the willies every time I see a failed write due to it - I have been able to correct the chipset type and rewrite easily enough just one day I worry it wont work

WytWun
Valued Contributor
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD

Post by WytWun » 06 Jan 2018, 00:48

stumagoo wrote:I have a similar issue with H8's in the NL pajeros some run H8539FA and others H8539F and externally no difference - same numbers on the ECU and same ID's.... is there a way around this or am I like your other comment where I have to edit the definition for each type.... just gives me the willies every time I see a failed write due to it - I have been able to correct the chipset type and rewrite easily enough just one day I worry it wont work
As far as I've been able to ascertain the H8539FA chips only went into production in late 1998 or early 1999 so I'd expect that only 1999+ build NLs would have them if the ECU is original. Of course if a dealer had to replace one from inventory, it would be pot luck as to which type you got... :roll:

Yes, I'd be concerned too! Using two parallel metadata directories I consider to be a bit less risky than constantly editing, as changing between them also forces ECUFlash to reload the definitions (in my experience, without doing this you have to exit and restart - unless they've added a reload function somewhere I haven't noticed). Once you've set up the alternate versions, changing between them is fairly easy but still tedious - just less tedious than the stop/edit/restart approach. The change is made by going into File->Options and editing the metadata directory path and then closing the Options dialog (don't press enter, just click on the X button in top right corner). The two metadata directories are best set up so that only the last character of the directory name is different to minimise the number of keystrokes.

One of the bigger annoyances with ECUFlash...

stumagoo
Model: Mitsubishi pajero

Post by stumagoo » 07 Jan 2018, 10:26

Thanks for the information

Gus
Model: TH

Post by Gus » 25 Mar 2019, 14:05

I have 2 different Harnesses, The FLASH plugs are Different , one has one wire the other has 2 wires whats the difference

WytWun
Valued Contributor

Post by WytWun » 27 Mar 2019, 00:16

Gus wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 14:05
I have 2 different Harnesses, The FLASH plugs are Different , one has one wire the other has 2 wires whats the difference
Presuming Magna/Verada harnesses (I'm not certain for Pajero or other models) the flash socket with 2 wires will be from an H8 ECU automatic car. A flash socket with only a single wire can be from a H8 ECU manual car, or a SH2 ECU car (either auto or manual).

Abek
State: International
Model: USDM VR-X
Engine: 3.8-Litre 6G75 V6 24V SOHC MIVEC
Transmission: 4 Speed Straight-Shift Automatic

Post by Abek » 10 Apr 2019, 06:15

First of all thanks WytWun for all the work and support!
I have a 2002 USDM Diamante. Your XMLs and ROMs gave me motivation to swap 3.8 heads and crank into g74 block using slightly shaved g74 DOHC pistons :D .
I was able to modify stock ROM to run the new engine and everything seems to be fine so far.
I have some questions/issues if you can answer them that would be nice.
1. Is there any way to control MIVEC solenoid using stock ECU (maybe using EGR) or the only option is to keep using rpm window switch?
2. I have trouble disabling EGR. It keeps throwing P0401 everytime I try disabling EGR.
3. How to disable adaptive shifting? TCU Periphery - Use AccelPosnSensor set to 0?

Thanks in advance

WytWun
Valued Contributor

Post by WytWun » 12 Apr 2019, 01:06

Abek wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 06:15
First of all thanks WytWun for all the work and support!
No probs, glad it proved useful 8-) .
Abek wrote:
I have a 2002 USDM Diamante. Your XMLs and ROMs gave me motivation to swap 3.8 heads and crank into g74 block using slightly shaved g74 DOHC pistons :D .
I was able to modify stock ROM to run the new engine and everything seems to be fine so far.
Excellent! :D
Abek wrote:
1. Is there any way to control MIVEC solenoid using stock ECU (maybe using EGR) or the only option is to keep using rpm window switch?
Using the EGR system would be the easiest way, because the control framework (e.g. maps, PWM output etc) is already in place.

From what I've seen in the AUDM ROMs there are a couple of other potential PWM outputs available but code patches would be required to add the necessary controls.
Abek wrote:
2. I have trouble disabling EGR. It keeps throwing P0401 everytime I try disabling EGR.
You need to find the incantation to disable the relevant OBD2 testing framework. I've not tried to do this because the OBD2 support is only in the USDM Diamante ROMs, however you might be able to find some info by prowling around the ECUFlash section of the EvolutionM.net forums. I found some references in an XML Tephra-modded Evo 8 ROM that suggest the P0401 test is controlled by FCA peripery bit 9 in that ROM (Tephra v7: 96530706). That bit is enabled in the USDM Diamante ROM 80350003 so you could try disabling it for your Spec Number to see whether that helps, but there are no guarantees it will be a direct match to the Diamante ROM :( . Be aware that your smog check for rego renewal may well then fail depending on where in the US you are... (this thread is one I came across about dealing with that...)
Abek wrote:
3. How to disable adaptive shifting? TCU Periphery - Use AccelPosnSensor set to 0?
The AccelPosnSensor value is only used to control whether the throttle position is sensed from the TPS or APS sensor - the APS sensor is only on TCL fitted cars and reflects when the TCL system wants to reduce power due to wheelspin etc. It has no real effect on the adaptive shift algorithms otherwise.

I've not been able to invest much time in analysing the TCU code to look for things like controlling the adaptive shifts as it didn't seem worthwhile; usually the shift mapping parameters provide the sort of control you would be expecting to need (fluid pressures and shift timing). You could probably experience the effect though by disconnecting your MAF - this puts the engine mapping into limp mode and at least in Aus cars seems to disable some of the adaptive shift control (shifts are definitely noticeably less refined).

I'm curious as to why you want to do this?

Abek

Post by Abek » 21 Apr 2019, 03:36

WytWun wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 01:06

I'm curious as to why you want to do this?
Thank you WytWun!

I wanted to disable adaptive shifting because downshifts are very slow.
I think i found a problem. The TCM doesn't see WOT and my throttle position sensor goes to 91% at WOT. This might be a problem :)

Abek

Post by Abek » 21 Apr 2019, 05:56

WytWun wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 01:06

You need to find the incantation to disable the relevant OBD2 testing framework. I've not tried to do this because the OBD2 support is only in the USDM Diamante ROMs, however you might be able to find some info by prowling around the ECUFlash section of the EvolutionM.net forums. I found some references in an XML Tephra-modded Evo 8 ROM that suggest the P0401 test is controlled by FCA peripery bit 9 in that ROM (Tephra v7: 96530706). That bit is enabled in the USDM Diamante ROM 80350003 so you could try disabling it for your Spec Number to see whether that helps, but there are no guarantees it will be a direct match to the Diamante ROM :( . Be aware that your smog check for rego renewal may well then fail depending on where in the US you are... (this thread is one I came across about dealing with that...)
I just set to 0 FCA periphery bit 9 and FAA Periphery bit 1 and it worked! :D
Thanks!

WytWun
Valued Contributor

Post by WytWun » 21 Apr 2019, 23:31

Abek wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 05:56
I just set to 0 FCA periphery bit 9 and FAA Periphery bit 1 and it worked! :D
Thanks!
Good! 8-) I'll make a note of that for the Diamante ROM XMLs.

WytWun
Valued Contributor

Post by WytWun » 21 Apr 2019, 23:56

Abek wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 03:36
I wanted to disable adaptive shifting because downshifts are very slow.
Do you mean the shift itself takes a long time, or do you mean that the TCU seems to take a long time to start the shift after giving it WOT?
Abek wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 03:36
I think i found a problem. The TCM doesn't see WOT and my throttle position sensor goes to 91% at WOT. This might be a problem :)
The TCU code treats any TPS value over 80% as WOT and my recollection is that it is fairly standard that max throttle depression gives TPS readings of around 85-90% for WOT (and about 10-13% for foot off throttle).

While there's one down shift in my 5 speed non-TCL car that annoys me for taking about 1/2 to 3/4 of a second to happen (as best I can estimate), it isn't at WOT... My WOT downshifts are all normally pretty rapid - less than a quarter of a second I'd estimate.

People here have complained that the 4 speed boxes don't shift as cleanly or quickly as the 5 speed boxes, but my recollection of having driven a couple over the years is that they weren't enough slower to shift than my 5 speed for me to really notice.

If you haven't already you might want to try completely disabling the TCL system (which I think all 2000+ Diamante's had?) including setting the "UseAccelPosnSensor" bit to 0 and see whether that changes the behaviour. If the TCL system is giving bad input at times, it could be confusing the issue.

Gus

Post by Gus » 24 Apr 2019, 13:15

WytWun wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 00:16
Gus wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 14:05
Presuming Magna/Verada harnesses (I'm not certain for Pajero or other models) the flash socket with 2 wires will be from an H8 ECU automatic car. A flash socket with only a single wire can be from a H8 ECU manual car, or a SH2 ECU car (either auto or manual).
Magna/Verada harnesses The 2 Pin flash harness is a MANUAL

WytWun
Valued Contributor

Post by WytWun » 26 Apr 2019, 01:08

Gus wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 13:15
Sure it wasn't originally an auto that'd been converted to manual?

Gus

Post by Gus » 27 Apr 2019, 12:38

WytWun wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 01:08
Gus wrote:
Definately a MANUAL , Thought I of these wires may be 12V & the other the FLASH , so you could just short the 2

My mate couldnt read this this computer with evoscan when we plugged it into another working car that only had 1 flash pin , so he couldnt disable emobilizer ( the computer was MD362395 6G74 DOM, Bosch F005E0029 JE331B154D)

WytWun
Valued Contributor

Post by WytWun » 29 Apr 2019, 00:31

Gus wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 12:38
WytWun wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 01:08
Gus wrote:
Definately a MANUAL , Thought I of these wires may be 12V & the other the FLASH , so you could just short the 2
Hmmm... without a wiring diagram I've got no idea why the second flash connector wire would be required for a manual :( (not that the MMAL schematics show the flash connector wiring even for L/W series cars :roll: ). Battery voltage isn't sufficient for reflashing a H8 ECU anyway - it typically needs to be boosted to at least about 17V (usually 18-19V) with at least 70mA available current...
Gus wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 12:38
My mate couldnt read this this computer with evoscan when we plugged it into another working car that only had 1 flash pin , so he couldnt disable emobilizer ( the computer was MD362395 6G74 DOM, Bosch F005E0029 JE331B154D)
F series cars with reflash connector (whether 1 wire or 2) have it wired via the immobiliser :( - see this thread for the wiring mod. If it was in a H/J/L/W series, that part number is in the same block as other H8 ECUs known to have been reflashed so I wouldn't expect a problem but I'd suggest opening the case and checking the chip markings to make sure it's the expected MH7202F. If it's a MH7201F, that's an older chip which ECUFlash doesn't support (though supposedly MMCFlash does, at considerable cost).

Wouldn't be the first time that MMAL used excess old stock ECUs in an updated build... :(