Re: Magna factory ECU tuning with ECUFlash/Evoscan

Technical information, definitions, advice, and support for factory ECU remapping, aftermarket systems, and much more.
Life
Administrator
State: Queensland
Model: 2001 KJ Verada XI
Engine: 3.8-Litre 6G75 V6 24V SOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Post by Life »

EVO-00X wrote:OK, VERDICT IS IN!!!!!!
The gauges cluster is still throwing up the transmission/check engine light and TCL light.
The insurance company/workshop have misdiagnosed our problem. I called them to give them the bad news.
I am so pissed off right now. We have been without this car since late April (3 months) from the floods and now its out of rego and still not fixed.
We are now taking this up as a formal complaint with Suncorp (Shanons Insurance) and also seeing our local MP who said he wants to fight for people who are still being given the run around by insurance companies since the floods.
What a screw around for the past 3 months.
Check Engine + TCL indicates an issue with the tcl system, usually either the TCL ECU (behind the stereo), or the solenoids on the firewall.

Not a wheel sensor as that throws an ABS (TCL+ABS)
ModifiedMitsubishi ////// Website Engineer
ModifiedMitsubishi ////// [url=hhttp://www.modifiedmitsubishi.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38773]Life's 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR 2.0T 6sp TC-SST[/url]

EVO-00X
State: New South Wales
Model: Ralliart TJ #065
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Post by EVO-00X »

Thanks. The TCL module behind the stereo was also replaced. Easy to get to with the stereo out and only had a couple of 10mm nuts holding the bracket in. At first it looked to have worked as the lights were off at startup and idle, but as soon as the car warms up or you drive it, both of those lights come back on again. In a video I took the TCL was stuck on and the check engine light was off. Then after a minute or so idling the check light comes back on again on its own accord for no reason.
The workshop said they replaced some sensors on the firewall... I should double check if it was them when the car goes back to them next Wednesday. Theyre going to hate seeing it in their workshop again.
Heres a Youtube video of what Im experiencing: (link wont work). But if you look up "Ralliart Magna. Replaced ECU & TCL Unit - Still Faulty" you will find it.

WytWun
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Post by WytWun »

I have (finally!) uploaded an updated set of definitions to the 1st post in this thread.

Of particular note:
- revised and expanded documentation, now in PDF form with screenshots and diagrams (which account for the download size :() to support descriptions of some common configuration changes and the operation of some sets of maps
- additional ROMs supported, including 3l TJ (auto and manual), 3l TF (auto), 3.5l KF
- additional maps including post-cranking enrichment and ISCV control as well as some sensor calibration and limits
- reorganised the map structure (yet again :roll:)

Hope you all had a Merry Xmas, and wish you all a great 2016.
Last edited by WytWun on 01 Jan 2016, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

Dougal
Administrator
Model: Magna TS 1995
Engine: 3.0-Litre 6G72 V6 24V DOHC

Post by Dougal »

Thank you WytWun!

Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you also.
ModifiedMitsubishi /// Administrator

Proud owner of
2nd gen Magna TS 1995 - 3lt Twin Turbo 6G72 DOHC 5spd manual)
3rd gen Magna TJ VRX 2002 Wasp Yellow 6g74 SOHC

Life
Administrator

Post by Life »

WytWun wrote:I have (finally!) uploaded an updated set of definitions to the 3rd post in this thread.

Of particular note:
- revised and expanded documentation, now in PDF form with screenshots and diagrams (which account for the download size :() to support descriptions of some common configuration changes and the operation of some sets of maps
- additional ROMs supported, including 3l TJ (auto and manual), 3l TF (auto), 3.5l KF
- additional maps including post-cranking enrichment and ISCV control as well as some sensor calibration and limits
- reorganised the map structure (yet again :roll:)

Hope you all had a Merry Xmas, and wish you all a great 2016.
To make things easier, you're now the first post :)
ModifiedMitsubishi ////// [url=hhttp://www.modifiedmitsubishi.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38773]Life's 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR 2.0T 6sp TC-SST[/url]

WytWun

Post by WytWun »

Life wrote:To make things easier, you're now the first post :)
Thanks, that probably will make it easier long term ;-). Are you going to put the ROMs that were in your starter pack up somewhere?

Life
Administrator

Post by Life »

WytWun wrote:
Life wrote:To make things easier, you're now the first post :)
Thanks, that probably will make it easier long term ;-). Are you going to put the ROMs that were in your starter pack up somewhere?
I'll throw them up when I get a chance, been a bit hectic lately with the move to the Gold Coast and all :)

WytWun

Post by WytWun »

Errata update for the 20151230 release - see first post. :oops: :(

struggler
State: International
Model: Galant 8g &Magna '04

Post by struggler »

Can I loda RA ecu map to basic 6g74? Can I expect some hp gains?

WytWun

Post by WytWun »

struggler wrote:Can I loda RA ecu map to basic 6g74? Can I expect some hp gains?
Yes you can copy the maps, but my understanding is that most of the extra power from the Ralliart engine was in the cams, exhaust and a small amount of head work because the Ralliart was still tuned for 91RON. The engine response to throttle and load changes will be more noticeable than any real additional power...

WytWun

Post by WytWun »

WytWun wrote:UPDATED: 17 July 2017 - updated definition set
I have uploaded an updated definition set to the first post, which fixes a few things, adds some new acceleration/deceleration related fueling maps and adds some more notes to the documentation on a couple of topics.

I have also added to the first post an archive of Magna/Verada ROMs originally posted by Life which disappeared during a thread restructure some time ago.

Dougal
Administrator

Post by Dougal »

Thanks Wytwun,

I'll download the ROM for a sticky beak.

Proud owner of

WytWun

Post by WytWun »

My apologies for the SNAFU: the 20170717 ZIP archive I originally uploaded to the first post in this thread was actually a 7-Zip archive rather than a ZIP archive :( If you have downloaded that archive (631085 bytes in size) you will not be able to open it (e.g. in Windows Explorer) as a ZIP file.

If you have 7-Zip installed, that program will be able to open the file even with the incorrect extension though I would recommend renaming the file with a .7z extension instead of .zip if you keep it for archival purposes.

A replacement ZIP archive (692615 bytes in size) can now be downloaded from the first post in this thread.

Dougal
Administrator

Post by Dougal »

Did some reflashing for a mate recently and found some odd things with the TL and KL AWD ECU's.

Used Evo9 def for a KL AWD ecu and worked fine.
Could not use that same def for the TL AWD ECU
Was only able to get a Read off the ecu using EVO 7 GTA/Magna AT def.
And then could not get it to write back

The production date of the KL AWD ECU was later than the TL AWD ECU and the owner of the ECU's believes that this played a role in its read/reflash ability.

Curious now.

Any insight be great.

Thanks

Proud owner of

WytWun

Post by WytWun »

This mix of ECU hardware in the L series is a right royal pain in the posterior. As documented in the README PDF, when you strike one of these you have to edit the definition file to change the reflashing protocol from "mitsukernelocp" (Evo 9 type) to "mitsukernel" (Evo 7/8 type) or vice versa. ECUFlash just doesn't permit an easy solution.

The only workaround I've come up with is to keep two independent definition ("metadata") directories: one with a standard set of definitions and the other with the L/W definitions changed to use the alternate reflashing protocol. It is relatively simple - though still tedious in use - to change the metadata directory using the Options dialog. I use this approach to keep my development definitions separate from the published definitions too.

At least the Magnas don't have some of the headaches dealing with the two different H8 processor types found in some other cars (I strongly suspect MK Tritons have seen both types with the same ROM :roll: ).