Re: Magna factory ECU tuning with ECUFlash/Evoscan

Technical information, definitions, advice, and support for factory ECU remapping, aftermarket systems, and much more.
[TUFFTR]
Valued Contributor
State: Victoria
Model: TUFFTR & Minge Mobile
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Post by [TUFFTR] » 07 Feb 2015, 17:54

Hmm just a question guys.
Got a mate of mine with a KJ Verada wagon, converted to Manual. We've fitted a non TCL TB as he says he "fried" the TCL ECU and it doesn't work - and unplugged it (Mind you, NFI where this is and I havent checked)
Anyway, fitted a non TCL TB (original TB was leaking air), and now have the following issues
- If TCL solenoids are not connected, CEL
- without the 2nd TPS plugged in, car hunts at idle.

I've looked through, and disabled FAA bit 13 in the ECU and flashed it on (all bits set to 0) but it continues to happen.
Can anyone offer assistance in disabling this secondary TPS? If we plug the TPS in, it idles smooth as, but won't rev over 2500 as that TPS isnt moving whilst the other one is.

Thanks!

WytWun
Valued Contributor
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Post by WytWun » 08 Feb 2015, 01:07

[TUFFTR] wrote:Hmm just a question guys.
Got a mate of mine with a KJ Verada wagon, converted to Manual. We've fitted a non TCL TB as he says he "fried" the TCL ECU and it doesn't work - and unplugged it (Mind you, NFI where this is and I havent checked)
Anyway, fitted a non TCL TB (original TB was leaking air), and now have the following issues
- If TCL solenoids are not connected, CEL
- without the 2nd TPS plugged in, car hunts at idle.

I've looked through, and disabled FAA bit 13 in the ECU and flashed it on (all bits set to 0) but it continues to happen.
Can anyone offer assistance in disabling this secondary TPS? If we plug the TPS in, it idles smooth as, but won't rev over 2500 as that TPS isnt moving whilst the other one is.
Its a wiring job from memory as I think the idle switch is actually taken from the Accelerator Position Sensor (as it is called in the book) in the TCL loom rather than the standard TPS - you'll need to check the circuit diagrams though to be sure.

[TUFFTR]
Valued Contributor

Post by [TUFFTR] » 08 Feb 2015, 10:12

Ahhhh, fantastic, will do! thank you!

Rhino
Model: 1998 Magna Bitza
Engine: 3.0-Litre 6G72 V6 24V SOHC

Post by Rhino » 01 May 2015, 22:14

Hey Guys. havent been here for a while. Just bought a TH sports 3.5 4sp auto. Been reading this thread. I am going to try a reflash on a different ecu that way if i stuff it up i still have my original ecu. Wondering if anyone has got a tune. Will be fitting number 6 cams and ralliart headers on it this weekend. I was thinking ralliart tune or vrx tune something to bum it up. Some quicker shifts through auto. speed limiter, immobiliser turned off (for ecu swap) and rev limiter turned off.
I like swear words

WytWun
Valued Contributor

Post by WytWun » 01 May 2015, 23:21

Rhino wrote:Hey Guys. havent been here for a while. Just bought a TH sports 3.5 4sp auto. Been reading this thread. I am going to try a reflash on a different ecu that way if i stuff it up i still have my original ecu. Wondering if anyone has got a tune. Will be fitting number 6 cams and ralliart headers on it this weekend. I was thinking ralliart tune or vrx tune something to bum it up. Some quicker shifts through auto. speed limiter, immobiliser turned off (for ecu swap) and rev limiter turned off.
There are only two "tunes" for the 3.5s: Ralliart and stock. ROM files are in the starter pack in the first post in this thread. H8 (F/H series) auto ECUs have a separate ROM for the auto and its not easy to get at without wiring changes :-( SH2 ECUs (J/L/W series) have a single ROM which includes both functions, so there are shift maps to adjust.

Just running a TJ 4sp auto may sharpen up the auto behaviour compared to the TH - I know retrofitting a 3.0 TJ auto ECU to a TF auto does (3 separate reports). I believe that it may be possible to transfer the immobiliser coding from a H series ECU to a J series ECU, but lacking a victimvolunteer haven't been able to confirm this.

The #6 cams won't give you much over the #4 cams, you really need #7 (Ralliart) or #15 (380) to be worth a cam change. That said, if you have a set of adjustable cam gears I found that advancing the #6 cams 2° on the cam gear vernier (4° relative to the crankshaft) gets a little more torque down low (good for auto) without compromising the top end much. I also noticed a nice crackle in the exhaust note on trailing throttle... but subsequently swapped to #7 cams.

Rhino
Model: 1998 Magna Bitza
Engine: 3.0-Litre 6G72 V6 24V SOHC

Post by Rhino » 01 May 2015, 23:54

I have to do timing belt on weekend only doing cam swap because i have to reseal distributor and back cam plug. For rwc. Seems i was halfway there i might as well do a cam swap. I put #6s in my 3ltr it did give it a different note i noticed
I like swear words

EVO-00X
State: New South Wales
Model: Ralliart TJ #065
Transmission: 5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Post by EVO-00X » 16 Jul 2015, 22:19

Hi guys, I bought a Ralliart Magna wreck and grabbed the ECU and heater core unit from it as my heater core leaked and allegedly it damaged the ECU (even though its completely covered by a large sheet of clear plastic from the factory to protect it from water. I still believe they pressure tested the cooling system and it burst the heater core). I also have the other small black BCM box that is located under the steering wheel. However, I don't have the ignition barrel or key as the wreck has since been scrapped.
My question is, can the new Ralliart ECU be changed in place of my existing ECU? Or does it need to have the immobiliser function coded by a workshop or it wont start the car?
Last edited by EVO-00X on 27 Jul 2015, 10:11, edited 2 times in total.

WytWun
Valued Contributor

Post by WytWun » 16 Jul 2015, 23:27

If your existing ECU is readable, even if it won't behave under some circumstances, you should probably be able to transfer the immobiliser code from the original ECU to the replacement Ralliart ECU and have the car start without issue (assuming you haven't changed the BEM/BCM as well). Worth a try if you can to preserve the immobiliser function.

Given that you have a genuine Ralliart ECU as a replacement this, or disabling the immobiliser, should be all that is required to get the replacement ECU running the car.

[TUFFTR]
Valued Contributor

Post by [TUFFTR] » 17 Jul 2015, 12:24

Doing a pressure test wouldn't of busted anything typical driving conditions wouldn't of done. Sounds like a bad co-Incidence that this happened.

EVO-00X

Post by EVO-00X » 19 Jul 2015, 10:52

Thanks WytWun.
I'll get back to you when I install the new ECU.
Last edited by EVO-00X on 27 Jul 2015, 10:14, edited 4 times in total.

EVO-00X

Post by EVO-00X » 19 Jul 2015, 16:03

OK, I replaced the new ECU into the car and it obviously wouldn't start the car.
I'll have a workshop do the immobiliser code transfer tomorrow.
Last edited by EVO-00X on 27 Jul 2015, 10:16, edited 3 times in total.

EVO-00X

Post by EVO-00X » 20 Jul 2015, 19:41

I had the old ECU immobiliser codes transferred over to the new ECU and it started first go :)
Now I have to put the rest of dash back together.
Last edited by EVO-00X on 27 Jul 2015, 10:16, edited 4 times in total.

Dougal
Administrator
Model: Magna TS 1995
Engine: 3.0-Litre 6G72 V6 24V DOHC

Post by Dougal » 20 Jul 2015, 19:58

Excellent news!!!
Glad you were able to copy the ecu from across to your replacement ecu and get the RA going again
ModifiedMitsubishi /// Administrator

Proud owner of
2nd gen Magna TS 1995 - 3lt Twin Turbo 6G72 DOHC 5spd manual)
3rd gen Magna TJ VRX 2002 Wasp Yellow 6g74 SOHC
6th gen Galant GSR 1990 - 4g63 DOHC manual

WytWun
Valued Contributor

Post by WytWun » 20 Jul 2015, 21:30

Glad you got this sorted! Sorry I wasn't around yesterday.
Last edited by WytWun on 27 Jul 2015, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

EVO-00X

Post by EVO-00X » 25 Jul 2015, 14:48

OK, VERDICT IS IN!!!!!!
The gauges cluster is still throwing up the transmission/check engine light and TCL light.
The insurance company/workshop have misdiagnosed our problem. I called them to give them the bad news.
I am so pissed off right now. We have been without this car since late April (3 months) from the floods and now its out of rego and still not fixed.
We are now taking this up as a formal complaint with Suncorp (Shanons Insurance) and also seeing our local MP who said he wants to fight for people who are still being given the run around by insurance companies since the floods.
What a screw around for the past 3 months.