TJ auto in TL Limp mode and VSS

General advice not related to a particular category, may include bodywork/body kits.
VRX-WAGON
State: New South Wales
Model: 2000 KJ Verada V6Xi
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

TJ auto in TL Limp mode and VSS

Post by VRX-WAGON »

Ok guys recently I picked up a 2004 TL Magna ES for dirt cheap (got change out of $500)

The guy I bought it off took the KJ's auto and put it into the TL, although it starts drives etc it goes into limp mode. He did it even though I said to him they'll bolt up but there'll be issues.

I know there is the difference in the VSS speed sensor etc, so what do I need to do and what wiring modifications do I need to do in order for the TL to happily run the KJ's auto.

As I have rung a few local wreckers between Taree and Fredrickton which is around an hour either side of Port Macquarie and none of them have a TL TW 4 speed auto and I don't fancy buying one from Sydney for $600 or so plus fuel to pick it up or freight.

Mainly because I want to fix it as cheap as possible to resell it for at least $1500 - $2000, so if I keep the budget to $1000 total I'll ne happy.

It drove from Sydney on the 28th February no issues although it sat in 3rd on the highway as the seller drove it up.

So in short what do I need to do to get the TL to run the J series box apart from connect the speed sensor and what wires and where are they located, as I looked at the workshop manual and couldn't really get the info required.

what needs to be done for the TL to run the J series 4 speed auto as the sooner it's done the sooner it can be sold with as much rego as possible on it. As it's got mid June 2015 rego on it.

So if some one can tell me what wires need to be used spliced and modified to use the J series auto and what ever else is needed to stop it from going into limp mode that'll be great, so I can sell it. As I only bought it cheap because the guy was going back to chzec this week amd was desperate to sell it and I didn't want it to go to the wreckers.

If worse comes to worse I'll try and source a cheap L W series auto 4 speed to bolt straight in or a 5 speed auto if it's got the ECU etc with it or if need be a manual conversion, as long as it's drivable and stops going into limp mode to be sold.

Thanks in advance.
Straight roads are for fast cars, Turns are for Fast drivers.

WytWun
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD

Re: TJ auto in TL Limp mode and VSS

Post by WytWun »

Can you read the code from the car via the "flashing lights" method? That might help identify what it thinks is missing/faulty...

You should also be able to find the downloadable workshop manual which would give you the circuit diagrams to compare between the two looms.

If fitting a 5 speed automatic gearbox the current ECU can be reflashed with a 5 speed ROM and the immobiliser coding can be transferred so you don't necessarily need the 5 speed ECU (TCL would need to be disabled in the ECU as well if the car doesn't have TCL now) however you do need to add an extra wire to the loom between the gearbox and ECU.

VRX-WAGON
State: New South Wales
Model: 2000 KJ Verada V6Xi
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Re: TJ auto in TL Limp mode and VSS

Post by VRX-WAGON »

WytWun wrote:Can you read the code from the car via the "flashing lights" method? That might help identify what it thinks is missing/faulty...
It takes off normally in 1st and 2nd quite spritely then thumps into 3rd and then the "N" light flashes at 1 per second, Took it to the auto electricians while in limp mode and he said something about "Output shaft speed sensor" but didn't say the code number.

The J series speed sensor isn't hooked up as I know there is a small modification that needs doing but not sure which wires to splice into off the speed sensor in the hub to then plug into the J series sensor.

But if it helps when in "Limp Mode" I am able to use the triptronic side of things to switch between 2nd and 3rd easily, It's just 1st and 4th that become unavailable. The speedo also doesn't work so I'm assuming because the J series speed sensor isn't hooked up.

If I can use the J series box with minimal fuss I will, Just as long as it's getting all 4 gears with out going into limp mode so it can be sold and I can let the buy know of it and tell them the J series sensor has been piggy backed on and recommend getting a L W series 4 speed auto.

As for the 5 speed auto if I ended up getting one I'd most likely throw a whole new ECU BEM key kit in to kill 2 birds with 1 stone since it's using 2 different keys 1 for the doors and 1 for the ignition.

I've got the TL/KL TJ/KJ and RALLI//ART workshop manual and found the speed sensor part for the TL and TJ I just have to physically work it out in my mind from the black and white on the screen to whats in front of me in the car on what I have to do to make it work.

As I've done the inhibiter switch etc for a manual conversion etc before but never anything like this.
Straight roads are for fast cars, Turns are for Fast drivers.