Verada stalling at idle

General advice not related to a particular category, may include bodywork/body kits.
Trombonista
State: New South Wales
Model: Km Verada GTVi AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Verada stalling at idle

Post by Trombonista »

Hi guys,
I have a 2005 Verada GTVi AWD. If I turn the a/c on at idle and turn the steering wheel it often stalls. It’s even worse if the headlights are on although that may be subjective. It also sometimes has a little stutter when driving but not often.

Until today there was no engine check light. But it stalled badly a few times on the way home today and the check engine light on and of a few times. I’ve cleaned the MAF but it wasn’t dirty and my cleaning it hasn’t helped.

The battery is fine by the way with almost 13 volts standing and 14 volts running.

Any thoughts. I don’t want to just throw parts at it as the MAF is $900 alone (quoted by Repco).

WytWun
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Re: Verada stalling at idle

Post by WytWun »

Trombonista wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 16:33
I have a 2005 Verada GTVi AWD. If I turn the a/c on at idle and turn the steering wheel it often stalls. It’s even worse if the headlights are on although that may be subjective. It also sometimes has a little stutter when driving but not often.

Until today there was no engine check light. But it stalled badly a few times on the way home today and the check engine light on and of a few times. I’ve cleaned the MAF but it wasn’t dirty and my cleaning it hasn’t helped.

The battery is fine by the way with almost 13 volts standing and 14 volts running.

Any thoughts. I don’t want to just throw parts at it as the MAF is $900 alone (quoted by Repco).
This stalling at idle is one symptom of a failing MAF, particularly when the A/C is switched on. You can check the codes via the "flashing lights" method described here. The code numbers may be different for the Magna - let me know what code you read and I can check it in the w/s manual I have (I think the Ellery w/s manual also has the codes listed).

You should be able to do a lot better than REPCO's $900, even new - good second hand units should be available from wreckers for $50-100, and some online. Make sure the unit you get has the same markings on the label as your current unit (which will include "338" in larger characters and "E5T06071" in smaller characters. The same MAF was used for all J/L/W series Magnas & Veradas, 3.5l H series Magnas & Veradas and later model 2.4l & 3l MK Tritons amongst others.

Trombonista
State: New South Wales
Model: Km Verada GTVi AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V DOHC
Transmission: 5 Speed Tiptronic Automatic

Post by Trombonista »

Sorry about taking so long to answer your post. I didn’t see anything in my email about your response. I will do as you suggested I the next couple of days. But I will add that the second of two auto electricians had his very expensive diagnostic system go through all the systems and found no codes at all. This included the engine, body, abs, airbag and pretensioner systems as well as the transmission control modules and nothing was found to be faulty. All the voltages of the sensors was in the designed parameters.

I’ve cleaned the MAF, throttle body and even the PCV valve which I discovered was sticking and whistling. I’ve also cleaned every fuse contacts and all relay contacts in the engine bay because it seems to be an electrical problem.

I have a USB power supply sitting in one of the cup holders and it has four led lights indicating voltage. In P or N all four lights are on but once it’s put into R or D it drops down to just two lights. Perhaps there is a solenoid or relay in or on the transmission that is drawing more power than it should although the gearbox shifts perfectly and performs as designed. The car has only 140,000 klms on the clock.

I have also replaced the alternator and battery with brand new units and both are performing at 100%. The idle stepper motor has been replaced with a new unit and I have just run six consecutive tanks of fuel with fuel system cleaner while on a long 17 hour drive. I even did an “Italian” tune up by running the car in fourth gear instead of fifth for an hour on that long trip with no change to the problem.

I also found all earth straps and cleaned the terminals and the contact metal and then retightened them in case there was an earth problem.

I’ll try your suggestion but as the professional diagnostic computer didn’t find any faults and the check engine light didn’t come on I don’t hold much hope of getting anything to show. But you never know, something may show. Thanks again for your input. It’s much appreciate. 👍

WytWun
State: Australian Capital Territory
Model: Mitsubishi Magna TJ AWD
Engine: 3.5-Litre 6G74 V6 24V SOHC

Post by WytWun »

Except for users of oiled air filters (e.g. K&N), cleaning KV MAFs doesn't usually achieve much because they don't accumulate grot in the same way as hot wire MAFs (which do benefit from cleaning). Replacement if suspect is a prudent strategy. Disconnecting the battery clears the CEL info stored in the ECU so you need to check this before disconnection. Intermittent MAF faults are likely to see the CEL come & go.

I have a voltmeter sitting in my cigarette lighter socket and with A/C off, shifting from neutral or park to drive or reverse barely bumps the displayed voltage (voltage never dropped below about 13.2V from ~13.8V; everything warmed up - just come back from a drive when I thought to check; didn't try A/C as too cold here ATM). If you're really seeing significant voltage drop with the same actions, there's definitely an electrical problem somewhere but I'd make sure with an actual voltmeter how much drop you're getting first. Having the AC kick in on top of such a problem would likely drop the supply voltage enough for a long enough time to snuff the engine reliably :(. (NB: I've got my in-gear idle speeds bumped up a bit in the ECU because of the cams but only to 700rpm instead of 625rpm so still wouldn't expect to see a big drop in your case, but check your fully warmed up idle speed in any case)

Don't know enough to offer any suggestions other than you may need advice/assistance from an auto electrician to trace the problem.

Regarding the notification (or lack thereof) - check the notification settings in the board preferences tab of the user control panel. Email notifications may not be enabled by default...

MCS

Post by MCS »

This problem is particularly prevalent in AWD cars as they age as I believe the mechanical load on the car at idle exacerbates the issue.

I have experienced this, a maf change (clean or replace with used (TH-TL) clean maf can assist but I find the ISC and a dirty TB are also helpful to address.

The voltage regs can also play up so if your alternator is OEM, have it checked.

Mike